Monday, June 14, 2010

Sour Cream Chocolate Cake and Frosting


I have been cooking and baking from scratch for quite a while and yet I had never made a chocolate cake.  I wanted something completely homemade and yet very moist so I searched for a chocolate cake with sour cream in it.  I found the best cake I have ever tasted and I want to share it with you.  Beware, you will only be able to eat a very small piece with a very tall glass of milk.  The recipe is from here.  I made some minor changes.  Also know that in no way is this cake healthy.  It is just what it is - an absolutely delicious chocolate cake.  I was also practicing my newly learned cake decorating skills - so don't laugh at my picture. 

50 min |
SERVES 12

Frosting

  1. Sift together the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl.
  2. Add shortening, sour cream, vanilla, eggs, water and chocolate (melted then cooled).
  3. Beat with an electric mixer at low speed, scraping bowl constantly, for 1/2 minute.
  4. Increase speed to high and beat an additional 3 minutes, scraping bowl occasionally.
  5. Pour batter into 2 greased and waxed-paper lined 9-inch round cake pans.
  6. Bake in a preheated 350 degree F.
  7. Oven for 35 minutes or until cake tests done.
  8. Cool in pans on racks for 10 minutes.
  9. Remove from pans and cool completely on the racks.
  10. Place one cake layer on serving plate.
  11. Spread with Sour Cream / Chocolate Frosting.
  12. Top with second cake layer.
  13. Frost sides and top of the cake with the remaining Sour Cream/Chocolate Frosting.
  14. SOUR CREAM/CHOCOLATE FROSTING: Combine the softened butter or margarine, confectioners' sugar, and sour cream in a mixing bowl; blend well.
  15. Add chocolate which has been melted and cooled and vanilla.
  16. Beat until smooth.
  17. Try this little trick when making this cake.
  18. Take the layer that has the least amount of rise on the top and trim it to be flat with a sharp knife.
  19. Place the trimmed side down (layer should be upside down).
  20. Then frost between layers and place the other layer on right side up and finished frosting.
  21. It will give the illusion of having a cake with only one domed layer and will sit better on your cake plate.
  22. Also the trimmings are great eating just plain for the cook or for kid. 
This post is listed at Blessed with GraceTempt my Tummy Tuesday and Balancing Beauty and BedlamTasty Tuesday.

5 comments:

  1. I think it looks excellent! I've never decorated a cake. My idea of decorating is using sprinkles! Well, that's my kids idea at least. Great job, I want a bite!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, this sounds delish! I love chocolate! I bet it is super moist with the sour cream in it. :D

    Thanks for sharing!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cake looks (and sounds) delicious! Your decorating is creative too-- nothing to laugh at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks delicious! I will definitely be making this one! (I'm not sure if it'll serve 12 when I'm through with it, though!)

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly