Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Candy Apple Peel Jelly - A Christmas Gift Idea


I saved all of my apple peels and cores from when I made applesauce.  I just threw them in freezer bags and froze them.  When I wanted to make apple juice, I thawed them in the fridge overnight and then I got a big pot and put in the peels and cores and filled it up halfway with water.  I brought this to a boil and then simmered it for 30-45 minutes.  I strained the apple peals a little at a time with my paper towel lined colander (and a bowl underneath that).  I just let it strain for about 20 minutes or so.  I then poured that liquid through a mesh strainer into a pitcher and refrigerated that overnight.  You do not want to drink this juice.  It is not sweet.  (I used the instructions from here)


The next day, measure out 4 cups of your apple juice and then follow the recipe below:



Candy Apple Jelly
*Recipe from All Recipes

  • 4 cups apple juice
  • 1/2 cup red-hot candies
  • 1 (1.75 ounce) package powdered fruit pectin
  • 4 1/2 cups sugar
In a large kettle, combine apple juice, candies and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.


Remove from the heat; skim off any foam and undissolved candies. Pour hot liquid into hot jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Adjust caps. Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water bath. 


If you do not know how to water bath can then please see this tutorial


I bought these Better Homes and Garden Jars from Wal-mart and they looked so pretty with the gingham red and white tops.


I realize this is not a healthy food.  I made this to give away as Christmas gifts because it is so pretty.  The color just reminds me of Christmas.  I also made it because I did not want to waste the apple peels.  The taste is pretty delicious too! 

*If you do not have apple peels you could just use apple juice that you bought.



No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly