Saturday, November 12, 2011

My Felt Advent Jesse Tree - Days 5 through 12

I am catching you all up so I am doing ornaments 5 through 12.   Just wanted to remind you that I use a Jesse Tree combined with an Advent calendar for this.  If you don't know anything about the Jesse Tree, please go  here and read up on it.  I ordered the book The Advent Jesse Tree: Devotions for children and Adults to Prepare for the Coming of the Christ Child at Christmas. This is where I got all of my ornaments because there is a great devotion to go with each ornament.

You can find the whole tutorial here.  Today's ornaments are:

5.  A Lamb

6.  A Ladder

7.  Colorful Coat

8.  A tablet with 10 numbers

9.   A cluster of grapes

10. A sheaf of wheat

11.  A slingshot

12.  A Bible or Scroll
1.  Use Shannon's page to cut out the ornament.  You may go here to print it.  The ornament is at the bottom of the paper.  Cut out a colored ornament and a white ornament.

2.  Next, find your symbol.    I know you are jealous of my crafting skills but try to contain yourself.  I am sure you can do better on this one than I did.  I used the symbol from here.  **You will only find the ladder, the colorful coat, the tablet with ten numbers, the sheaf of wheat (it says grain on the document) and the lamb on this one.   For the lamb scroll down and use the lion and the lamb picture but just cut out the lamb.

For the grapes, search "grapes clip art" and pick the one you like the best.  I then just printed it and make sure it is the right size.  You can copy the picture and put it in a Word document to make sure it is the right size then print it out and cut out the leaves and the grapes and do it as you would do the other ornaments.

For the slingshot you can use this picture below and  copy the picture and put it in a Word document to make sure it is the right size then print it out and cut out the parts in felt as you would do the other ornaments.


For the scroll or Bible, search "scrolls clip art" or "Bible clip art" and pick the one you like the best.  I then just printed it and make sure it is the right size.  You can copy the picture and put it in a Word document to make sure it is the right size then print it out and cut out the parts in felt as you would do the other ornaments.

3.  Cut out your shape.  You can glue this on with a felt glue (available at craft stores) or use your heat and bond to attach it (read the instructions that come with it) or hot glue it.  Hot glue doesn't hold quite as well.  You can sew this down, but it is so tiny that I just used the heat and bond and ironed it.
**You could get your Heat N Bond Lite and trace your symbol onto it.  Then you will want to iron it onto the white  felt.  When using your iron, put it onto the steam setting even though the Heat N Lite instructions say not to.  Use a tea towel or something over the felt as your ironing it because felt will burn.  Yes, I said felt will burn. 

4.  Sew the white and color-side of the ornaments together.  Leave an opening at the top.  I only sewed the bottom half.  I used "invisible thread" to sew each of my ornaments so you won't have to keep changing your thread unless you just want to use white thread which is fine too.

5.  Once your ornament is put together glue it (see above) on your white side of your ornament (I didn't do this).

6.  Put your number on the color side of the ornament.  You can cut out the numbers from here.  You could also buy the stick on felt numbers at your local craft store.  Make sure they will fit onto your ornament before you buy them.  

Let all of that dry and make sure it is good and "stuck" on.  Then you will take a whole punch (I used a craft whole punch) and punch a whole in the top tab of each side of the ornament.  You will want to do each side because you will be turning the ornament over.  This is kind of tough but it will work if you do it slowly.  It may stick on one side so just take your scissors and cut it the rest of the way off.

There you are - you made almost half of your ornaments!  Any questions?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly