Friday, February 24, 2012

My Homemade Red Sauce Recipe

This is a red sauce that I made and I want to get it down before I forget what I did. I made a lot to use for two lasagnas and also have some leftover for spaghetti one day. We ate one lasagna and we froze one.





102 oz. diced tomatoes (use the big can from the store or home canned diced tomatoes)
3 t. onion powder
2 t. garlic salt
1/2 T. salt
1 T. sugar
2 T. Italian seasoning
2 lbs. Italian sausage (I used one pound of pork sausage and one pound of deer sausage)
8 oz. tomato paste

Cook and drain the Italian sausage.  Mix the seasoning in with the cooked sausage.  In the meantime, puree the diced tomatoes in the blender (I do this because we don't like chunky sauce).  Pour in the pureed tomatoes and then add the tomato paste.  Cook on the stove until reduced and thick.  I do  not like watery sauce so I cook it a good while on the stove while I do other things.

Use right away or freeze for later use.  Obviously you could use real onions and garlic but I was too lazy to chop them up but if you did that you would just saute them in olive oil after you cooked the sausage and then throw them together with the sausage and proceed as stated above.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly