Thursday, November 1, 2012

Vitamix Meal - Potato Soup and Blueberry, apple, spinach smoothie

We bought a Vitamix blender a while ago. We love using it for smoothies. I also make bread crumbs in it and use it to make salsa.  It came with a great recipe book but I had forgotten about it until I saw an infomercial for it.  They were making hot soup!

You know I had to try it so if you have a Vitamix - try this soup.  It is adapted from the Vitamix cookbook.


Potato Soup in the Vitamix

4 peeled potatoes (small to medium)
2 cups of milk
1 tsp. onion powder
2 garlic cloves or 1 tsp. garlic salt (we like garlic)
1 tsp. dried parsley
1/2 cup of shredded cheese (your choice)
1/3 cup of bacon or ham
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Boil peeled potatoes until fork tender.  I did not chop them up I just left them solid.
2.  Take 2 boiled potatoes, milk, onion powder, garlic and put it in Vitamix.  According to the directions turn on Variable at 1 and slowly go up to 10 and then turn on the "High" switch.  Blend for 6 minutes or until steam escapes from the top.  (*I used the little plug thing for the top).
3.  After 6 minutes, turn off blender and add the other two potatoes, cheese, bacon or ham, parsley and salt and pepper - blend on Variable 3 for 20-30 seconds or until potatoes are loosely chopped.  (*I pureed them so use less time if you think they are getting too pureed. Also, if you puree the parsley too long the soup looks greenish - ask me how I know).
*This makes roughly 4 cups.  You may may need a second batch for a bigger family.



 Blueberry, apple, spinach smoothie


1 apple, cored
Blueberries, frozen
Spinach
Water

Put items in Vitamix in order listed above.   Puree on high for 1 to 2 minutes until smooth.  Serve.
*I never measure I just layer - 1/3 full of apple, 1/3 of blueberries, 1/3 spinach, pour filtered water about half way full.
This makes enough to fill a pint jar and 3 jelly jars which is what we use to drink out of.

My husband commented that my "cooking sure has gotten creative",   I'd say dinner done in less than 20 minutes is pretty creative, but he did say he loved the soup.

Another tip - to clean the Vitamix between making the soup and making the smoothie - just fill 1/3 of the way up with hot soapy water and blend then rinse blender and lid well.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly