Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Money Chore Chart




I decided it was time to start this.  It was fairly easy to do and I used what I had on hand. 

What I used:

Foam board
**Library pockets
Card stock
Laminator
Glue


http://www.mathworksheets4kids.com/counting-money/chart-coins-bills.pdf

I printed this on card stock and then laminated it.  I cut it apart and glued it to the front of the library pockets.  (Click on it to download it).




I then downloaded this chore stick printable and then laminated it and just cut them out with my paper cutter (into rectangles and not just the sticks that would take way too much for me).  She has a slightly different tutorial for how she did it.


Basically I cut the foam board to fit the side of my shelving unit.  I hung it by rings and Command hooks.  I glued on the title at the top.  It was from here.

I measured it so that the sticks could fit in the library pockets and not be too tall.  I glued them on with Elmer's glue.  I kept three pockets at the top and put the kids name on it.

I then printed the sticks and laminated them and cut them apart.  I gave each one a value and wrote that on the back.

I then glued on the money values that I printed earlier to the other pockets.  I just did $0.25, $0.50, $1.00, $2.00, $5.00, $10.00 - to make it easier.

Then I put the corresponding job in its value pocket.  I have one reader and two non-readers but the non-readers just grab one and ask me what it says and I tell them.  If they don't like that one they put it back and grab another one.

I also put a couple freebies in there - if they pick those they get money for no work (just for fun).  If I think of something that isn't on the printable I just grabbed those bigger Popsicle sticks and wrote it on there.

When they complete a chore, they put it in their name pocket and at the end of the week or end of every two weeks - we count up the money and pay them.  I usually do every two weeks.

That is how it works.  So far so good.

There are chores they do that they don't get paid for - things that just help the household run  - like make their bed or empty the dishwasher.  These chores are just a little above the daily chores.  I pay bigger money for things I hate to do like clean out the vehicles or scrub the shower.

**You can find library pockets on Amazon or at a school supply store.

Do you do money chores?  How do you make it work?


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly