Thursday, November 19, 2015

Mostly Paleo Pumpkin pie sheet cake

I fell in love with this pumpkin pie sheet cake a few years ago but since going paleo I wanted to try to make it with some changes.  The original recipe is from Mel's Kitchen Cafe and it is super delicious.  You'll never want to make pumpkin pie again.  True story.   I just changed some of her ingredients to make it paleo friendly.

*I wish I would have gotten a better picture but didn't think about it until I'd already cut it (and ate it).  Also I used a jelly roll pan.


Ingredients
    Crust:
  • 2/3 cup coconut palm sugar
  • 1 1/2 cups cassava flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 tablespoons grassfed butter (1 stick), melted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 large egg 

    Filling:
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 honey
  • 1/2 cup coconut palm sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon cloves
  • 1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
  • 1 (12-ounce) can coconut milk (or 1 cup)
  • whipped coconut cream for serving
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place an oven rack in the middle of the oven (too low and the crust will burn).
  2. For the crust, whisk together the sugar, flour, baking powder and salt. Pour in the melted butter, vanilla and egg. Stir to combine (I use my hands at the end to combine the dough into a cohesive ball).
  3. Press the dough into the bottom of a lightly greased 9X13-inch pan.
  4. For the filling, you can use the same bowl that was used for the crust as long as there aren’t any large clumps of dough remaining in it. Whisk the eggs until light and creamy. Stir in the sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves and pumpkin. Whisk to combine. Stir in the coconut  milk or cream.
  5. Pour the filling over the crust.
  6. Bake for 35-45 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean. Don't overbake or the crust will be too tough. **I only baked mine for 30-35 minutes.
  7. Cool completely. Cut into squares and serve with sweetened whipped cream.












No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly