Sunday, January 2, 2011

My Word for 2011

Photo Credit


I was thinking that if I had to pick one word for 2011 that embodied what I wanted for my family, what would that world be?  At first I was going to say simplify.  It is a good word and I do want to simplify my life in all areas, but then I read something that changed my mind.  So what is my word for 2011?

PEACE

I was reading this book that my cousin gave  me (thank you Amee).  It is called "Queen of the Castle: 52 Weeks of Encouragement for the Uninspired, Domestically Challenged or Just Plain Tired Homemaker".  It is a great book by the way.  She has a chapter titled "In Search of the Peaceful Home" and it struck me.  I often find myself trying to do good and serve others but sometimes it comes at the expense of my own family.  For instance, I will make someone a 5 course meal with dessert and then swing by McDonald's for chicken nuggets for my own kids.  I think there is something off there.  (Yes, I do go to McDonald's although I try to limit it).

The author also talked about how she was doing a lot of errands one day and she thought about how nice it would be if when she came home there was already someone there and the lights were on and a meal was cooking and a fire was glowing in the fireplace.  Doesn't that sound heavenly?

Then she talked about how it made her think about home from her husband's perspective.  "What is the atmosphere as he walks through the door each evening?  Are good smells wafting?  Is soothing music welcoming?  Are the kids not fighting?

The author also quotes another book:  "Throughout Scripture, God is referred to as our spiritual refuge.  We are told to run to Him for safety, security, rest, replenishment, comfort and never-ending love.  In the same way, I believe God created our homes to be our physical refuge.  He knew we would need a corner of the world to call our own . . . Home."

My goal for this year is to maintain an orderly, cleanly home that welcomes my husband and children to a peaceful environment.  A place where they are fed and loved and feel safe and secure if only for the time they spend at home.

C.S. Lewis once said, "A housewife's work . . . is surely in reality the most important work in the world.  What do ships, railways, mines, cars, government, etc. exist for except that people may be fed, warmed, and safe in their own homes?  We wage war in order to have peace, we work in order to have leisure, we produce food in order to eat it.  So your job is the one for which all others exist."

Sounds pretty important right?  I do believe I have an extremely important job - the most important.  I am raising future citizens of the society - people that could contribute mightily to the benefit of society or to the determent.  Not only that but I (and my husband) are raising children who will someday serve our Lord and hopefully be Godly men and women that will further the cause of Christ.

I want to be a wife that encourages my husband as he goes out into the world to face all of the things that go on.  I want our home to be his refuge.

These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you wll have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world.”  John 16:33

You will keep him in perfect peace,
      Whose mind is stayed on You,
      Because he trusts in You  Isaiah 26:3

The LORD will give strength to His people;
         The LORD will bless His people with peace.  Psalm 29:11

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.  John 14:27

Lord, help me to make my home a place of comfort and refuge for all who enter and let us all experience the peace that only comes from You.

2 comments:

  1. I agree Gretchen, if my home is not in order I do not feel at peace. Even though I work, long hours by the way, I still make breakfast each morning and I do mean cook! I usually cook dinner each night and my home is a clean and ,friends have said, comfortable place to be. I feel it is my responsibility to maintain our home and make it the place we want to take refuge from the world in. On the flip side I have a caring husband who will frequently bring me a Starbucks at work or call and say he has picked up Panera for supper because he knows I have had a rough week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good word...couldn't we all use a little more peace in our homes? Let me know if you learn some things that work for you.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly