Here is where I will be growing my food.
|My mini herb garden|
|Some of my blueberry bushes in containers|
|A few blackberry "bushes" which you can't see very well|
|My three "boxes" where we grow most of our veggies and strawberries|
Here are my goals and what I am planting:
- Spinach, Lettuce, Radishes - interplanting and successive planting in square foot garden beds to be harvested every few weeks for salads all summer.
- Amish Paste Tomatoes and Big Boys - started from heirloom seeds to be used for sandwiches, salads and of course canning! And if I can't grow enough myself I have a source for buying organic ones in bulk towards the end of summer.
- Onions and garlic - Garlic is grown from last year's garlic bulbs. Onions from heirloom seeds (my experiment as I have never grown onion from seed before) - to be harvested when ready and used in cooking - if I have too many onions I will freeze some chopped. Garlic I keep in a paper bag with holes all season long once harvested. It worked last year.
- Herbs - Chives (that come up year after year), Oregano (trying to see if last year's will come up?), Basil - planted from heirloom seeds, Cilantro - planting from heirloom seeds, Dill - free from the heirloom seed company (also planted from seed) - these will be used in cooking, dried, used in salsa or to can pickles or to make pesto!
- Squash - Jarrahdale Pumpkin, pippin squash, and lemon squash
- Strawberry Popcorn - another experiment
- Red eye peas