Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Homemade Uncrustables Explained and How to make Homemade Croutons


I put homemade uncrustables on my menu plan for a while now.  I have tried it several ways.  If you don't take the crust off when you thaw the sandwiches the crust gets really, really hard.  At one point my friend, Ma, commented that she did not want to waste the crust so, this is for you Ma!

I decided to try this since seeing it out there - making uncrustables and then making croutons with the crust.

I don't have a fancy Pampered Chef cutter so I just got out our cookie cutters (the metal ones work best) and let the kids cut out shapes of the bread.  My stepmom had given me a free loaf of potato bread so we used that.

After cutting out the shapes I spread peanut butter over them (you can add jelly or jam too) and then I laid them on a cookie sheet to flash freeze.  Once frozen I put them in a container.  To serve you just put them in a bag in your kids lunch or set them in the fridge in the morning if you want to eat them by lunch time.  **If you have a peanut allergy I have heard that sunflower butter can be used instead.

After we made the sandwiches I cut the crusts up with my kitchen scissors.  I put the cut up crust into a Ziplock gallon size bag and drizzled it with olive oil and just shook some garlic salt and Italian seasoning onto them.  I baked them at 350 for 15 minutes, cooled and store them in a Ziplock bag in the cabinet.  They tasted pretty good.

I do make these sandwiches with my homemade bread but I haven't tried making the croutons with them yet, but I will now since it was pretty easy.

1 comment:

  1. Yay for crusts!

    My littlest boy has decided he doesn't like crusts recently. I'll have to try this.

    I do make croutons out of stale bread now and then and the kids just eat them as a snack.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly