Thursday, January 12, 2012

Grocery Budgets and Giving

 Some of you might know that I am slightly obsessed with menu planning.  I love it.  I love to do it.  I love to talk about it.  I love to think about it.  I don't know why.  I guess I'm weird right?  Well, I think it was this love of menu planning that caused my friend Rachel to call text me and ask me if we could get together and I could help her with her grocery budget.  And my response was of course I could!

I came over to her house and I should tell you that Rachel is one of the sweetest people I know.   She truly has a heart of gold.  She is very hospitable.  She makes people feel very welcome.  She is kind and considerate and I could go on and on.

As we were talking about her budget she was telling me she just really felt like she needed to get organized.  She was telling me that she really wanted to get her grocery budget under control.  She wanted to save money on groceries and make sure she was spending her money wisely.  Lots of people want to do this right?  It isn't unusual.  I mean there are blogs and blogs and blogs and websites and websites about how to save money on your groceries.  There are even TV shows about couponing.

Usually people want to save money on their groceries for a purpose.  They either need to pay off debt or save for a house or maybe they have lost their job and need to cut corners.  But you know why Rachel wanted to save money on her grocery budget?  Here is what she said to me, "I really want to save money on my grocery budget so we can give more money away."

What?  I was blown away.  I didn't let her know it but I was so shocked to hear her say that.  I shouldn't have been.  She is a true follower of Christ.  I always know that she will have a word of encouragement when I talk to her.  I never hear anything negative from her.  One thing she says that I think of often is that "God is not surprised."  If I call her freaking out about something she reminds me - God is not surprised by that.

That girl is one amazing woman.  She has made me think differently about what am I doing and why am I doing it.   Do I want to save money on my groceries - of course I do but now I am going to think about why I want to do that and what I am going to do with my savings.

Thank you Rachel for being a good friend and for making me want to be a better Christian.




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly