Tuesday, April 8, 2014

I've been loving our mornings



I have been loving our mornings lately.  Even before our two week spring break.  I am doing a classical method but I'm not a purist at all so I use things about it that I like.  One thing I like, no love, is reading living books for things instead of textbooks.

In the morning now we have a reading routine.

I bring a bag of books to the kids' room and they play or swing on our Ikea swing while I read and ask questions.

I always start with a Devotion book.  We use the Animal Devotion book that I have talked about before.  It is almost like science and Bible in one.




Then I read a chapter from our current read aloud.  I try to find classic literature for this.  The kids did not like the Little House book I picked (only my children) so I started another one - The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White.  They are really liking this one.

Then I'll read a little "twaddle" as the classical purist like to call it.  But it is books that my kids like that they ask me to read.  Today was a chapter from a Superman book for my oldest and an adaption of the classic Cinderella for my girl (not the Disney book).

Then we pick the flavor of the day book - I try to do a weekly rotation of art, music, science, history, etc.  Monday is usually the art book - I am loving the Come Look With Me series.  We are doing the one about work right now because I found it at Half Price books.  We just finished the Magic School Bus Shark book for science.



And my newest edition - Life of Fred:  Apples!   Shhh, don't tell them it is math.  I have clipboards and pencils and paper in my bag that I pull out.  We sit on the floor or the bed and I read the short chapter and we do the little activity - mostly for my 4 and 6 year old but my 8 year old sometimes joins in.  We have just started it and so far I really like it.



I also do these Q & A for a Day - 3 years journal with the kids.  I have them in my bag also and pull them out and ask them the question of the day.  The answers are ALWAYS interesing!!!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Q%26A+a+day+for+kids&safe=active&client=firefox-a&hs=zHx&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=sb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=VkJEU_T4N6Kb2wWCroHIDg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAw&biw=1920&bih=908#facrc=_&imgrc=SD_75li4hRZvdM%253A%3BoxTGAR7ZVecvKM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fimages.anthropologie.com%252Fis%252Fimage%252FAnthropologie%252F26432773_000_b%253F%2524product410x615%2524%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.anthropologie.com%252Fanthro%252Fproduct%252Fhome-giftswelove%252F26432773.jsp%3B410%3B615


We still watch TV, play Minecraft and use the Ipad/pod but at least we start our morning with reading.  I'll work on the rest later.

What do your mornings look like?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly