Sunday, July 6, 2008

Make It Yourself . . . Hamburger Help"er" Mixes

I did get some Hamburger Helper on sale and have been using that up a little bit at a time. I did some research to find these mixes that you could make yourself. Here are a few below. Also, see my post here for an update of the dish washing detergent.

This is from Thrifty Fun

Homemade Ground Beef Helper
2 c. nonfat dry "instant"milk
1 c. cornstarch
1/4 c. unsalted chicken or beef bouillon powder
2 Tbsp. onion flakes
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp.dried thyme
1 tsp. black pepper
2 Tbsp. dried parsley
1 Tbsp. garlic powder
Mix the ingredients together and store in an airtight container. Use as base mix for hamburger helpers.

Chili Tomato Mac
Brown 1 pound ground beef or turkey, drain off fat
Add 1 c. water, 1 and one half cups uncooked macaroni, 2 (15 oz) cans diced tomatoes, 1 Tbsp chili powder, and 1/2 cup of the "Helper Mix". Simmer covered about 20 minutes or until macaroni is tender. Serves about 4 persons.

I found a few other really good recipes at "Mama Says". She has a lasagna style, cheeseburger style, taco style and stroganoff. You can find them here.

I found another link that I like about Hamburger Helper Mix in a jar. Check it out here.

For more ideas as to what you can Make Yourself, visit Centsible Shopper.

3 comments:

  1. That is pretty fun that we both had the same idea! Thank you so much for linking back to my post. I'll do the same for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'll definitely have to try this out! mr. right and i love hamburger helper meals, but we rarely have milk on hand. this sounds perfect. i don't have all those ingredients on hand - but i'll definitely get them so i can try it out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly