Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Thoughtful Thursday, Are you getting overwhelmed?

I have talked about being over committed. And maybe you saw my post where I am trying to change the way I do my grocery shopping. What do these two things have in common? Baby steps. The way to stop being over committed is to use baby steps. The way to change a habit -baby steps. There is a really good series by Keeper of the Home about using baby steps. My goals with grocery shopping and meal planning are to try not to use processed food and make as many things from scratch as possible.

My first baby step - use only real butter, that was it. This is how I started my journey. Obviously, I am still on that journey. I am slowly replacing processed food with homemade. I am experimenting with all kinds of recipes. I have joined a buying club and am starting to order natural healthy foods. I buy grass fed beef in bulk.

So, if you really want to make a change, start by making just one and stick to that for a while.

I have many other goals, such as teaching my son his letters, the days of the week, shapes and numbers. I am starting small and simple. I could easily get overwhelmed by the sheer volume of information and lesson plans that are out there. Right now, I "teach" him on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I use two different websites and I do 5 minutes of prep beforehand. This is all I can handle right now. But, later, it will get more involved and I will (hopefully) get better.

Don't beat yourself up. Keep trying, never stop trying. Figure out one thing that you think you can actually do and DO IT! Do it for a week or two and once you have it down, go on to the next thing. You will be surprised at yourself. Now I have to go clean my kitchen before I get overwhelmed. Happy Thursday!

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl! Enjoyed the post today. Agree with it all. Starting small is definitely key. Just wanted to shoot you a note to say I haven't forgotten about our play date to hang out. Adoption stuff is crazy right now, so I think once we bring him home and life slows a little bit, we can plan that trip out to meet and get the kids together. Let's stay in contact through our blogs until then. Thanks again for the invite. I really do want to take you up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried to comment earlier, but it didn't show up. Maybe I did it wrong. Anyway, what I said was - speaking of cooking from scratch, do you have any good recipes for tomato sauce and pizza/spaghetti sauce?

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly