Thursday, May 13, 2010

100% Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls (and Bread)


This recipe really is so delicious.  It doesn't taste like your normal whole wheat bread.  The recipe is adapted from a recipe from the Set for Life cookbook.  This book is so great.  It has so many great recipes.

Quick Cinnamon Rolls

4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups of whole wheat flour (I used King Arthur's White Whole Wheat and regular Whole Wheat)
2 Tablespoons dry yeast
1 1/4 cups warm water
1/3 cup oil (I have used olive oil or melted coconut oil)
1/3 cup honey
2 eggs
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt

Filling:
2-3 Tablespoons of butter
1/4 cup of Rapadura (or Sucanant)
1-2 teaspoons of cinnamon

Glaze
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon maple flavoring (or just use vanilla)
1-2 T milk

Mix water, honey, oil and yeast in mixing bowl.  Let sit 5-10 minutes until yeast is proofed.  (I just always proof my yeast no matter what).  Add eggs then mix.  Then add 3-4 cups of flour and salt and start mixing.  Add remaining flour 1 cup at a time until dough just cleans the sides of the bowl.  Try not to add too much flour.  Dough should be quite soft.  Knead until smooth and elastic, about 6 minutes.

I double this recipe so I end up kneading it by hand at the end because my mixer is not quite big enough.

On lightly oiled surface role dough into a large rectangle about 14x32 inches and a scant 1/4-inch thick.  Spread evenly with butter, sprinkle rapadura and cinnamon all over the dough.  Roll up dough starting with the long side.  Seal the seam by pinching dough together.  With seams side down, cut into 1 1/4 " slices.  I use a pastry cutter to do this.  You may also use floss or a string.  Place rolls cut-side up on a nonstick baking sheet or 9x13 in. pan.  Flatten slightly with the palm of your hand.  Let rise until very light and double in size (about 30 minutes).  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 to 18 minutes.  Makes 24 rolls.

For the glaze:  mix powdered sugar, milk and maple flavoring until pourable.  Drizzle over warm rolls!

If you want to make cinnamon bread then I follow this tutorial from Heavenly Homemakers, but I use this recipe.  It is so delicious!


See a lot more great recipes at The Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as a Mom.


Don't forget to enter my giveaway

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly