Tuesday, June 1, 2010

How to freeze waffles and a recipe


We do love waffles in our family.  My favorite recipe comes from the Betty Crocker cookbook.  I use whole wheat flour and our family loves them.  I like to double or triple the recipe though because it is a bit time consuming to do.

1.  When I make the waffles, I get out my two jelly roll pans (or you can use cookie sheets) and I place the warm waffles on there and let them cool.

2.  Once the waffles have cooled, I set the pans in the freezer just like the picture above.  I leave the pans in the freezer for a couple of hours until the waffles are almost completely frozen.

3.  I take the waffles and put them in gallon zip top bags.  I use the straw trick to get all of the air out of the bags.  The straw trick is just sealing the bag until it is almost closed, slipping in a straw and sucking the air out of the bag so that you do not get freezer burn.

4.  Throw the bags back into the freezer.

The best way to reheat frozen waffles are to toast them in your toaster or toaster oven.  Make sure you don't leave them in there too long and they will be delicious reheated!

For more kitchen tips, please visit Tammy's Recipes.

If you would like my waffle recipe - here it is:

Whole Wheat Waffles

2 large eggs
2 cups whole wheat flour (or you could use all purpose)
1 3/4 cups milk
1/2 cup vegetable oil or melted butter or melted coconut oil
1 T sugar
4 t. baking powder
1/4 t. salt

1.  Heat waffle iron. 
2.  In large bowl, beat eggs with wire wisk until fluffly.  Beat in remaining ingredients until smooth.
3.  Pour slightly less than 3/4 cup batter onto the center of hot waffle iron.  (Check manufacturer's instructions for recommended amount of batter).  Close lid of waffle iron.
4.  Bake about 3-5 minutes or until steaming stops.  Carefully remove waffle and serve immediately or follow freezing instructions above.

This post is listed at Blessed with GraceTempt my Tummy Tuesday and Balancing Beauty and BedlamTasty Tuesday.

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, we LOVE toasted/reheated waffles from the freezer!

    Now I'm hungry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love having food in the freezer - ready to serve! Frozen waffles would make a great Sunday morning "hurry up so we're not late for church" but still yummy breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I freeze my waffles and pancakes like this every weekend. That way my kids can eat them all week and I don't have to get up at 4am to make them =o) It works great!!!

    www.makingmemorieswithyourkids.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly