Friday, December 31, 2010

2011 - What about the Bible?

About two years ago I started noticing people not making New Year's Resolutions anymore, but making goals instead.  I think this is a wise move since resolutions tend to be forgotten by February.  I haven't made my list of goals yet, but I am going to make it my goal to make some goals (Ha). 

I think we all set out to make "good" goals.  We want to lose weight or get organized or start menu planning.  Those are all good things, but what about the best things?  If we can prioritize our Bible reading and studying, our prayer life and our memorization of Scripture so much of the rest of our life will fall into place. 

I would like to encourage you to take the "Read the Bible in 90 Days" Challenge.  It doesn't involve study (although you can if you want to).  It is just pure reading of the Bible.  It sounds daunting.  It is a good 45 minutes a day of reading the Bible.  And I don't want to hear that you don't have time.  You have time for what you make time for - so make time.  I read the Bible through in 90 days last year and I am so glad I did.

It gave me a picture of God that you could only get from reading His Word cover to cover.  You don't have to buy the Bible, you can just follow this plan.  Now if you choose not to do this, that is fine, just do something!

First off, pray about this and ask God to help you find time to read your Bible.  Trust me, He will!

Next, find someone to keep you accountable.  You could even go to Mom's Toolbox and leave a comment because she posts reminders every week.

Now, make a commitment to start memorizing Scripture!  Find a partner to join in this with you that you could say your verses to each week.  I have posted this before but if you don't know where to start - try using the Navigator's Topical Memory System.  Or you could start by refreshing your memory about the verses you memorized when you were younger.  You could also start memorizing chapters or books - like Jude - just one chapter but you could say you memorized a book of the Bible.  Over the last 18 months I have well over 100 new verses memorized.  I'm not saying this to brag.  I am telling you that I cannot even remember names of simple household items like pot holders.   So if I can do it - anyone can!

Please let me encourage you to start this today.  You won't regret it.  And if you need an accountability partner but don't know who to ask I would be happy to do that for you.  You could leave me a comment with your e-mail address and I would e-mail you weekly.

Have a blessed 2011 and may you hold tightly to our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.  May you get to know Him better this year and for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly