Saturday, January 15, 2011

Sewing Project of the week - Quilted coasters and holder



I have finally given up the idea of ceramic coasters at least for a few years.  Ceramic coasters plus hardwood floors plus three children under 5 equals lots of broken coasters (although my husband did break one as well).  I stumbled on this sewing project over Christmas and I have wanted to complete it for a while.  Yesterday afternoon during naptime was the perfect time.  It doesn't take long, but if you wanted to really get it done quickly I would recommend doing all the cutting at night after the kids are in bed and then all you have to do is the sewing the next day during naptime.

If you are going to do this project I highly recommend these tools:

You can find a rotary cutter and mat at JoAnn's or any of those type of stores and they often go on sale for 40% off.  This is by far one of my best sewing purchases.  I cannot cut a straight line for anything, but I can with these tools.

I used Tater Tots and Jello's Quilted Coasters Tutorial.  I just used scrap material and batting that I had on hand.

I then used Sew Mama Sew's Happy Hostess Gift Box Tutorial for the holder.

Again, these were pretty quick and easy sewing projects.  And they won't break if we drop them which makes them very worthwhile.

I am trying to limit myself to one sewing project a week because I have a huge list of things I want to get done.  Lastly, I have to give a shout out to my favorite mother-in-law for buying me my lovely sewing machine a few years ago.  I love it!  Thanks MJ!

Happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly