Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Grilled Pizza Recipe

We have been grilling out a lot lately.   And I have always wanted to try to make pizza on the grill so this week I was brave enough to try it.   Start out with a simple dough.  I used the Old World Style Dough from a cookbook.

4 ½ cups of unbleached bread or other high gluten flour (I just use regular all purpose)
1 ¾ teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon instant yeast
¼ cup olive oil
1 ¾ cups water

This is how I made it - I stirred together all of the ingredients and kneaded it by hand for 5 minutes.  Then I put it in a greased bowl to rise for a few hours because I wanted to use it the same day.  But it is better if it is prepared ahead of time and allowed to cold rise in the refrigerator.

Here are the instructions for that:  Prepare a sheet pan lined with oiled baking parchment (I didn’t do this). Transfer dough to a floured surface and cut it into six equal pieces with a dough scraper. Lightly flour your hands and round each piece into a ball gently. Transfer the dough to the sheet pan and oil it generously. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and place into the refrigerator overnight. Dough will keep this way up to three days, or in the freezer for up to three months.

Now onto the grilling:
Take the dough and roll it out flat about a 1/4 inch thick.  I used extra flour and a rolling pin.  I love using a giant silicone mat to roll my dough out.  It works very well for me.  Then I oil my pizza peel (it is a small one that I got at the Christmas Tree Shop). 

001

Then take the dough to your already preheated grill.  Some say to oil your grill but I didn’t and I did not have a problem with the dough sticking.  Here is where you prebake the dough - about 3-4 minutes per side on medium high heat.  A tip is to gently try to flip it and if it doesn’t come up without sticking it is not quite ready.   And you want some grill marks on it.

004

Once the dough is prebaked but not cooked through, put it back on the pizza peel and top it with your favorite toppings - pizza sauce, pepperoni and cheese.  Or we did BBQ sauce, bacon, chicken and cheese.  Swiss cheese on BBQ pizza is delicious - I’m just saying.   Slide the pizza back onto the grill from your pizza peel or you can use your cookie sheet turned upside down.  Grill 5-7 minutes until cheese is melted good and everything is heated through.  To keep the other pizzas warm while you are grilling more pizza I just put my oven on the warm setting on a cookie sheet until they are all baked.

006

My kids had the regular pizza with pizza sauce and pepperoni, but my husband and I had the BBQ chicken pizza and that was so good on the grill.  My kids liked their pizza too.
Here is the BBQ sauce I used.  It is adapted from Cooking During Stolen Moments.
For the barbecue sauce:
  • 1 1/2 c. ketchup
  • 2 T. Worcestershire sauce
  • 1/4 c. brown sugar
  • 1/2 t. each – allspice, pepper, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder
  • 2 T. honey
  • 2 T. liquid smoke
Add everything to a small bowl and stir until combined.  Microwave for 1-2 minutes and then you can refrigerate until ready to use or use immediately.  Also taste the sauce and if you like a little more sweetness add more honey.  You can kind of tailor it to your taste.

tammy's recipes
Tempt my Tummy Tuesdays
Raising Homemakers


Beauty and Bedlam

4 comments:

  1. Yum...and your oven looks so clean!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! we do pizza on the grill often and love it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! A while back you commented on my alternative medicine post. I am so glad you guys go to a chiropractor! I wanted you to know I started a new link up for sharing healthy ideas, suggestions, going "green" tips, etc. and I hope you'll join me today, Wednesday! add this post! :)(Healthy 2day Wednesdays) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ma - you are too funny.

    Kirstin,
    We love our pizza on the grill too.

    Rachel,
    I will check that out.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly