Saturday, August 20, 2011

Hello Leftovers - BBQ Chicken Mac N Cheese

I leave room in my menu plan for a "Leftover buffet" night.  It is never that exciting.  I am not a fan of leftovers, but I am also not a fan of wasting food.  This week I was really wanting some mac n cheese and I had leftover BBQ shredded chicken so I thought - why not?  I am sharing the recipe with you because if I don't write it down soon I will forget it.  And I am sorry about my picture.  I just snapped it and we ate it pretty quickly so I wasn't able to get a good shot. 



Ingredients:

8 oz. elbow macaroni
4 Tbsp. butter
4 Tbsp. flour
2 cups milk
1/2 tsp. salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used colby jack)
1/2 cup breadcrumbs
1 1/2 cups of bbq shredded chicken

Directions:
  • Prepare pasta according to package directions.  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Spray baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
  • Melt butter in a  large saucepan.  Add flour mixed with salt and pepper, using a whisk to stir  until well blended.  Pour milk in gradually; stirring constantly.  
  • Bring to a boiling point and boil for 2 minutes (stirring constantly).  Reduce heat and cook (stirring constantly)  10 minutes.  Gradually add shredded cheddar cheese and simmer an additional 5 minutes or until cheese melts. 
  • Add macaroni to the saucepan and toss to coat with the cheese sauce.  Add bbq chicken and mix well.  Sprinkle with breadcrumbs.  Bake 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
**I am not a fan of baked mac n cheese, but this one is still very creamy.  My husband rated it the best mac n cheese I have ever made although he thought I should use regular chicken next time, but I really liked the flavor of the bbq.

How do you do leftovers?


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly