Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Our Smoothies



My husband purchased a Vitamix a while back and I am so glad he did.  Lately we have been having lots of smoothies.  Because I have been a little nauseous with this pregnancy, cooked vegetables just didn't smell good or taste good so we have been uping our smoothie consumptions.

We have been trying to get in at least two servings of fruits and veggies with each smoothie.  We have been using the peaches and blueberries I froze last summer.  I am going to have to freeze twice as much this summer.  We also buy organic spinach and carrots in big quantities at Sam's Club each week.  I have been adding some coconut oil and whole flax seed as well.  I then use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of filtered water to make it a little less thick.

I started measuring to make sure we are actually getting the servings and I usually split it between me and my husband.  He doesn't want me to put any sweeteners in his so I usually mix it up and then pour his out and then add a little honey (raw, local of course) to mine.  It doesn't taste bad without the honey but it sure does taste better with it.

This is the best way to get our fruits and veggies in.   We really like it and feel a lot better when we have it.  When my husband makes it he will add whole apples or peeled oranges too.  I am just too lazy to peel the oranges.

We do love the Vitamix though because it pretty much makes everything completely smooth.




What do you like to put into your smoothies?

3 comments:

  1. Smoothies are great and easy meals to blend up fast! We thought you might be interested in checking out one of our favorite recipes, our Simply Delicious Meals Banana Smoothie, http://bit.ly/AeEcsu. Let us know if you try it.
    – Carrie from Sam’s Club

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are doing smoothies too with kale or spinach and frozen blueberries, pineapple almond milk, there are sooo many variations.

    So many of your posts are resonating with me right now, except I'm not as organized as you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Tabitha
    You are so sweet. I have a long way to be as organized as I'd like to be. I have been wanting to try almond milk. I may have to try it in our smoothies too.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly