Monday, March 12, 2012

St. Patrick's Day Sensory Bin - Preschool Activity

If you don't know much about sensory bins, take a few minutes to read this - Montessori Minute - Sensory Activities.   I am not an expert but I have been trying them out.  This week we are doing a St. Patrick's Day Sensory Bin.


Included in our bin:

  • Green Easter basket grass 
  • Green St. Patrick's Day straws with  the 4 leaf clover on them.  I took these apart and cut up the green straws to put in them.
  • Green counting bears
  • Plastic bugs

We used the tongs to find things in the bin and take them out and sort them into separate containers.  We also used our hands.


The kids wanted to close the bin and turn it upside down to make it easier to spot where objects where.  Then they plotted out how to get them.




They really enjoyed this bin.  My older son stopped his math (shocking) to play with his little sister.  They took the bugs out and played with them separately.  I am going to try it with my 2 year old more tomorrow.  Today he just seemed to want to throw the grass.

Where I bought the stuff:

I used a plastic shoe box that we already had to hold everything.

I bought the rest at Target - green Easter grass, plastic bugs (in the $1 bins), St. Patrick Day's straws.  We already had the counting bears.

There you have it, an easy St. Patty's Day sensory bin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly