Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Easy Weeknight Meal - Penne with sausage, potatoes and green beans

I have a cookbook that I love. It is from The Food Nanny. It is chocked full of just good simple homemade food.  One of the recipes I had wanted to try was this one.  I knew I usually had most of the ingredients on hand so I thought if we liked it, it would go on our monthly rotation.  Guess what - we all loved it even the kids.  I found this recipe printed on this website so I thought I would re-print it for you here.  I hope you try it!




 Penne with Sausage, Red Potatoes, and Green Beans
4 servings

8 ounces uncooked penne pasta
4 small red potatoes, quartered
8 ounces low-fat spicy bulk Italian sausage
1/4 cup minced yellow onion
2 small garlic cloves, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon butter
1 pound fresh green beans, trimmed and cut in half (see Note)
1 tablespoon coarsely chopped fresh parsley
Salt and ground black pepper
1/2 cup grated Romano, Asiago, or Parmesan cheese, plus additional

1. Cook the pasta according to package directions.  Drain.

2. Steam the potatoes or cook them in boiling salted water until tender.  At the same time, steam the beans or cook in the microwave until tender, 6 to 12 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a Dutch oven or large pot over medium heat.  Add the onion and garlic; cook and stir until the onion is soft and the sausage is completely cooked.  Pour in the broth and simmer for 3 minutes.  Stir in the olive oil and butter until the butter melts.  Add the green beans, potatoes, and pasta.  Mix well with a large spoon.  Add the parsley and salt and pepper to taste.

4. Decrease the heat to low and sprinkle 1/2 cup of the cheese over the mixture.  Cover the pan and cook a few more minutes until the cheese is melted.

5. Serve immediately in the same pot or spoon the mixture into a large, shallow serving bowl or deep platter. Pass the extra cheese.

**I actually just used onion powder instead of the onion and garlic salt instead of the garlic and white potatoes instead of red potatoes, cheddar cheese for the parmesan just because it is what I had on hand.  And I substituted the parsley for Italian seasoning because I just wanted to.






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly