Monday, October 14, 2013

Week in Review - the one where I read two books and didn't do a lot of school

This week was, well, kind of weird.  For some reason I let myself start re-thinking some things and that got me horribly off track.  So we didn't do as much school as I normally do.  We did the bare minimum but nothing exciting.  I even called off co-op and we just went to the park.

But something great happened in the midst of this.  I found this book at the library.






To say I was in desperate need for a book like this would be an understatement.  I've read a few dyslexia books but most of them are clinical and very sciencey (not a word I know).  This book was what I needed at the EXACT time I needed it.  It is from a man who was dyslexic so it is real.  It is truth.  He does not sugar coat what I am dealing with.  He does not act like it can be overcome and that my son will eventually read on level with his peers.  But it does tell me how to find his strengths and how to use his strengths.

It tells me how to use technology to benefit him and to level the playing field if you will.  What is so awesome about this book is that he tells you truthfully where he is today.  He is an adult that went to law school and wrote this book yet his reading level is only at a fifth grade level.   I can't say enough good things about this book.  If you know someone who is dyslexic or if someone in your family is - you must read this book.  That way you don't ask a dyslexic mother - is his reading on level with his age?  Don't do it.  It won't happen.  It maybe be on level for a while but eventually they will move forward and he will stay the same.  And you know what - I'm okay with that. 



In life 

I set up this little kitchen cabinet for the kids - It has a broom and dustpan and little aprons and the baking stuff I made for her - labeled jars of ingredients and such.  The cabinet is made by my husband's grandfather for his aunt and she let us use it!  We LOVE it!


My daughter loves to teach us about the cows with this book every since we went to the dairy farm.  We get weekly lessons.


They had fun doing the pink tower together.


 He likes using the kitchen cabinet too.


She made peanut butter and jelly for the family.


She was kind of doing this puzzle until she got made and threw it all down.  Toddlers . . .


Practical life - learning how to hang up clothes.



He did the button snake to learn how to button.



And out of the blue he says to me - Mom, 2 plus 3 equals five.  Will you give me the white board so I can write that down.  And then he drew 2 circles and then three circles and after I took this picture he drew five circles.  Thank you Starfall.


I made him a cutting box.  Yea, we are working on cutting.


 She loves getting into this cabinet and stacking cups.   Perhaps I should get her some non-breakable ones.


Here she is doing her own version of baby yoga.


 Her sister is trying to read her a book.


We tried out the Duck Dynasty beard app.  Loved it.



They made cupcakes for us.



We did a few walks again.


Friday we had a get together for our church.  One of my favorite things to do - a bon fire.


We went to Garden Ridge and the kids asked me to take their pictures.


 If one book a week wasn't enough I've been devouring this book too.  One Way Love by Tullian Tchividjian (grandson of Billy Graham).  I will be doing a full review soon and a give-a-way but I still have a few more chapters to read.  I LOVE this book.  I've been posting pics and sharing them on Facebook, Twitter and Instragram because the message is so incredible.

For some reason I have been a Christian for about 30 some years and I'm just now hearing about grace.



Some excerpts I shared:





Maybe reading two books in a week is the real reason I didn't get a lot of school done. 

How was your week?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly