Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Praying over your To Do list

I had began to get overwhelmed this week. I have to take a trip out of town. I have my son's birthday coming up and we are trying to get so many projects done at the house. Not to mention we have dentists appointments and I really want to plant a garden before May 15th. So last night I was about to have a break down. Then I decided to take my own advice. I had sent my friend some advice from the Self Confrontation book that I have been reading. This is a small excerpt from a portion of the book:

Remember that God only holds us responsible for keeping His commandments which are always kept in the present. The procedure below is a practical way to concentrate on the present.

At the beginning of each day, or the night before, list all of the tasks that you believe should be accomplished in that day. (This is often called a “To Do” List.) Then, list them according to the sequence in which they should be carried out. It is clear that some tasks need to be done before others; however, remember that all tasks are important and are to be carried out to please the Lord.

At the start of the day, focus only on the first task and do it heartily as to the Lord. Then, carry out the second task. The key here is to focus only on the current task, not on the ones down the list. Continue working in the same fashion until the end of the day. If all tasks are not accomplished, remember that God may have sovereignly redirected a portion of your day and that you are only responsible to be faithful; God takes care of the results. If all tasks are not accomplished in one day, evaluate if you were disobedient at times or if you need to modify your expectations for the next day’s tasks. If you do this, you will not have time to worry!

I love this because it takes the pressure off of me and puts it where it should be. I wrote down my to do list last night and the first thing I put on it was my quiet time. I had several things to do this morning, but I made my quiet time a priority. This is something that I have not done lately and I know I need to get back to it. I have several things done on my to do list and I have a few more to accomplish, but I am not stressed. I am thankful that God does care about my day.

Phil. 4:6-7:
6Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.
7And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

2 comments:

  1. This is excellent! I'm going to write down the verse and post it above my computer, which is where I usually sit in the morning and try to plan my day...I get overwhelmed too and this is perfect! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Thank you - I have always made a "To Do" list and have mentally beat myself up over not completing it. I feel much better after reading your blog today.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly