Thursday, July 10, 2008

Frugal Friday's . . . It's fun to stay at the YMCA

I just love the YMCA. It is such a great place for families. We go to the Y twice a week in the summer and go to the pool. I meet other ladies from my church there and our kids swim together while we get to visit (when we are not chasing our children). We pack a picnic lunch and eat lunch on the grass during one of the lifeguard’s breaks.

In the winter, they have an indoor play area and it is so nice to get out of the house and let the kids play. The room also has several booths and we pack our lunch and eat there too.

Oh, and I hear you can exercise there too. Hmmmm, I should think about that.

Obviously you do have to pay a monthly fee, but it is not like a regular gym. You can cancel anytime and you don’t have to sign a contract. They also have a sliding scale depending on your income. You can also get financial assistance if you need it.

Childcare is included for up to two hours a day while you are working out.

I like the atmosphere and I like how family friendly they are.

For more Frugal Friday ideas, visit Biblical Womanhood.

4 comments:

  1. I like it too, they have a great sports program when the kids get a little older. Also, we had one of my son's best birthday parties at the YMCA, we played dodge ball in the raquetball courts with staff supervision etc. All the kids had a blast, I think it was for my son's 5th birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We also love the YMCA. A lot of our friends from church also have a Y membership, so it is an inexpensive place to get together with the kidos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From what I recall it's exceptionally expensive. Do you mind sharing what the monthly dues are? And what do you spend in gas to drive there twice a week? Gas would be the killer for me.

    I've considered getting some sort of fitness membership, but since all the fitness centers are AT LEAST 5-10 miles away, I'd be spending the same, probably more, on gas than I would on the actual membership.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi,

    It depends on what you compare it to whether or not is expensive. If you compare it to staying home and not leaving the house, then yes, it is expensive. If you compare it to prices for gym memberships and taking your kids to the city pool, then it is very reasonable. Our Y is on a sliding scale as far as income so the less you make the less you pay.
    My husband is all for the Y. He encourages me to go, and who am I to argue? We do limit trips to 2 days a week (occasionally maybe 3). But it is well worth it in the winter to get out of the house and the kids have somewhere to play that is indoors which my son definitely needs!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly