Monday, July 14, 2008

Make It Yourself . . . Brownie Mix

This Brownie Mix comes from the cookbook Make-A-Mix.

6 cups all-purpose flour
4 teaspoons baking powder
4 teaspoons salt
8 cups sugar
1 (8-oz.) can unsweetened cocoa powder

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, sugar and cocoa. Stir with a wire whisk until evenly distributed. Put in a large airtight container. Label with date and contents. Store in a cool, dry place. Use within 10 to 12 weeks. Makes about 15 cups Brownie Mix.

To make the brownies:

1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups Brownie Mix
2 Tablespoons of water*
1/2 cup chopped nuts, optional - I always leave these out because we don't like nuts in our brownies

Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour an 8-inch-square pan. Combine melted butter or margarine, eggs, vanilla and Brownie Mix. Beat until smooth. Stir in nuts (if using). Pour into prepared pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, until edges separate from pan. Makes 16 brownies.

*I added the 2 Tablespoons of water because I found the batter to be a little dry. This was not in the original recipe

I also cook them until they are almost done and then take them out because we love chewy brownies. If you cook them until they are completely done they are more cake-like. I actually store my brownie mix in a re-purposed coffee container. When I find a glass jar big enough, I will probably store it in there. For you creative people, you can use this as a gift and put it in a cute glass jar with a decorative lid and little cute card with the ingredients and recipe.

For more Make it Yourself ideas, see the Centsible Shopper.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly