Monday, May 30, 2011

It has been a while since I stirred the pot

The Sacred Sandwich
Bring on the spoons because I am definitely stirring the pot today.  I happened upon this lady's blog or website on accident.  I clicked on an article that one of my Facebook friends (back when I was actually on Facebook) had posted and it sent me to this certain article which I am hesitant to even post but will do it so you can see what I am talking about.

The post is "Humility without Hierarchy:  How Submission Works for Us".  The lady is Rachel Held Evans.   She is kind of a self-proclaimed "Progressive Christian".  And let me just say even the term "Progressive Christian" just makes me crazy.  It is definitely interesting to read but ultimately it is dangerous.

There is no real standing on anything.  They mix Biblical beliefs with cultural beliefs such as Mrs. Evan's Submission post.  It talks about the "why" she submits and it is not because it is a Biblical mandate. 

I do understand the searching.  I think all of us go through a time of searching out our faith once we  reach adulthood.  What we need to work on (we being the Evangelicals of the world) is having the correct Biblical answers for those that are searching and we I need to work on speaking the truth in love.

The truth is it is hard to talk to Progressives because they are like nailing Jello to a wall.  It is very hard to pin them down as they are so "open-minded" and all inclusive.  You could argue the Bible but they believe in that too, somewhat.

I would just have to say that arguing Christianity is a great way to get people to read your blog and to get comments. It just is.  There are so many differing opinions out there and lots of people willing to share their's.  I think I would like to start a new blog called "Repudiating Rachel" (meaning I would counter what Rachel says on her blog).  I will start it right after I look up the word "repudiating" and make sure I am using it in the right context.

And now it is your turn!  Tell me your thoughts on the subject - good or bad, agreeing or not, Progressive or Evangelical  - just use nice words.
 "51 Do you think I came to bring peace on earth? No, I tell you, but division. 52 From now on there will be five in one family divided against each other, three against two and two against three. 53 They will be divided, father against son and son against father, mother against daughter and daughter against mother, mother-in-law against daughter-in-law and daughter-in-law against mother-in-law.”  Luke 12:51-53





3 comments:

  1. After reading Rachel's post, I do not agree at all. In fact it took alot not to write a comment on her blog, but I won't give her the time...it would only start an argument.

    I have seen this in the church way too much...chaos, everyone deciding what is right for themselves or in other words...subjecting the Word of G-d to their own comfortable lifestyle instead of changing their lifestyle to accomodate the heirarchy of the Word of G-d. This is only one of the reasons we left the traditional Christian lifestyle for Messianic Judism (I should write a post about that).

    I also do not agree with the term "Progressive Christian." The words are at war with each other and should not be used together to describe something...there again chaos and discord instead of unity and structure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't like anything about the word "progressive"..very newspeak.


    I'm now quoting the article:

    But relying on the letters of Peter and Paul is problematic because in nearly every case, the admonition for wives to submit to their husbands is either preceded or followed by the admonition for slaves to obey their masters.In fact, phrases like “likewise” or “in the same way” are used to link the two. So to say that the hierarchal structures presented in these passages are divinely instituted and inherently holy, raises some troubling questions about God’s view of slavery.

    Yeah...that's right. I know the slavery thing is off-putting, but it's in there like it or not.

    I understand, I guess, what she's trying to say, I just don't agree. The Word of God tells us to submit to our husbands...case closed.

    HOWEVER, our husbands are commanded to love us...as Christ loved the Church. Now THAT is not letting them off the hook either.

    When I started to understand that men NEED respect the way that we ladies need love, it became so much easier for me. To not respect him is the same to him as his not loving me. From what I understand we ladies can show our love by showing respect...(trust me on this). We don't always have to agree with our hubbies, but they are the head of the house. Allowing them to do what they have to do, even when we don't agree, equates to them as love.

    They love us, we submit to them. When done is obedience and in the Spirit THIS WORKS!

    Whew...I didn't realize I had so much to say:P

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I love it when you stir the pot!

    Second, I have not yet read the article, but feel certain that I will agree with you. Any type of spin on Christianity makes me think of this book I am reading - When a Nation Forgets God: 7 Lessons We Must Learn from Nazi Germany

    I am not too far into it, but it is great. It talks about how Hitler wasn't against the church, just as long as they weren't against him. Here is a little part that comes to my mind often lately:

    "If religion was tolerated, it had to be secularized so that it would be compatible with the state's commitment to the greater good of a revived Germany. Most of the churches bowed to the cultural currents and endorsed the "Positive Christianity" that was in line with government policies."

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly