Monday, October 17, 2011

Homemade Breakfast Sandwiches - Freezer Cooking

I have had some questions about my homemade breakfast sandwiches since I posted them on Facebook. So I will share with you what I do and how I reheat them.

Here are the ingredients:

English muffins or Bagels (I prefer the Bagel thins) OR make your own English muffins - they are good!
Eggs
Bacon (I use turkey)
Cheese
Salt and Pepper


On Sunday night I like to prepare lunches and some breakfasts to eat for the week.  I have started doing these breakfast sandwiches mostly for my husband to take to eat at work but the kids and I love them too.  I buy lots of things in bulk including eggs, bacon and English muffins (mostly from Sam's) but the eggs I try to get locally because brown eggs are so good and rich.
  • I bake a bunch of bacon on cookie sheets (really jelly roll pans) in the oven - 425 degrees for 15 minutes while I am frying up the eggs.  I used to scramble my eggs but we all prefer a fried egg and it stays on the sandwich better.  
  • I take a dozen eggs and fry up each one.   I have a big skillet that will fry up to 3 or 4 eggs at a time.  I salt and pepper the eggs and break the yolk to cook it up too so it is not runny.  I fry it in olive oil.
  • Once the eggs and bacon are cooked I slice up my cheese.  I buy cheese in bulk at Sam's as well because I find it to be a bit cheaper than pre-sliced cheese.  We like colby jack the best.  
  • Then I form an assembly line.  My kiddos like to "help" at this point.  
  • I take an egg, a slice and a half of cheese, 1 1/2 slices of bacon split up into three pieces and layer the sandwich.  
  •  I wrap each sandwich in foil.  This allows my husband to just heat it up in the toaster oven they have at work.



Reheating

Reheating is always a problem for these sandwiches because the eggs don't get reheated as quickly as the other items.  The best way to do it is to put the sandwiches in the oven at 350 for 10 minutes then take them out of the foil and microwave them for 35 seconds.  They are perfect this way.

BUT, if you don't want to mess with that then just unwrap them and microwave them for 90 seconds.  Check the feel of the egg and if it still feels cold then microwave for 20 seconds more.

Again, I think the fried eggs make this sandwich much better than scrambling the eggs.  If you make 12 of these sandwiches on Sunday night it will allow you several days of breakfasts for a family of 4-6.  If you have more members than that I would double it and get the kids to help.


Any other questions?  Did I leave out anything?

**Regarding prices - my Sam's has English muffins for $5.32 for two packs of 8 (16 total).  They also have those bagel thins for $5.32 for two packs of ten -20 total (these are better sandwiches I think, plus it makes 10 instead of 8).  I buy 3 packages of turkey bacon there for around $7.00.  The cheese is about 2 lbs. for maybe $6.00 something (I think).  I buy eggs locally so I pay anywhere from $2-$3 per dozen.  (**Side note - I am buying a pig locally but haven't gotten it yet so I still use the turkey bacon).  I hate numbers so you can calculate that if you want plus prices are different in different parts of the country.

I will say these are far better than most fast food restaurants and you can tailor them to your taste by using sausage or Canadian bacon instead of regular bacon.

Hope that helps!


7 comments:

  1. Thanks so much for the recipe...gonna try this asap!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for something like this for a while!!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was fantastic. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just tried this last night and it was super easy. I forgot mine this morning but I'm hoping they taste as good as they smelled :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly