Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Kids Obstacle Course - Animals! With printables for you at home!

My son kept begging me to make an animal obstacle course - he does love animals.  I made one - and yes I know that frogs and crabs are technically not animals - right?  This is my homemade version which I have made a PDF for you so you can print the cards - and laminate them if you want to.  You should be able to do this course with all things that you have in your home.  We did this before bed and I thought it might get them too wound up but they ended up sleeping for about 11 hours.

Here is what we did:

Station 1:  Frog Jump - Place 5 lilly pads in a row - hop onto each one and back again



 
Station 2:  Monkey climb - have child climb over chairs in a row or climb up and down a step ladder.  (I used kitchen chairs for them to climb over)





Station 3:  Bear Walk - the child bends from the waist/hips, keeping legs straight and touching hands to the floor, the child moves forward keeping the head up.




Station 4:  Kangaroo jumping - set up three lines or skipping ropes, allowing enough
distance for a child to jump between the lines. (I just used this lined rug because I had no masking tape).



Station 5:  Cheetah run - run as fast as the child can from one end of the room to the other.  (They ran from one end of the hall to the next station as quickly as they could.  I ended up timing them when we were done and they kept trying to beat their time.)





Station 6:  Bird walk - Put a line of masking tape on the floor.  The child stands on tiptoes, flapping arms like wings and walks the line - not falling off.  (Once again I had no masking tape so I used what I had.)




Station 7:  Duck walk - The child squats down and walks forward in the squatted position.




Station 8:  Crab walk - From a squatting position, the child reaches backwards to place the hands on the floor behind the back.  Trying to keep the trunk straight, try moving forward, backwards and sideways.  Do this down the hall if you are in a smaller space.  We did this in the kitchen.



Here are the documents to print:

Here is the animal cards to print, laminate (if you want) and cut apart.  I am not a professional so these are really just for home use. 

Lilly Pad printable - not mine but found on the internet

Hope you enjoy this.  My kids sure did!

To make this a learning activity you could even write facts about the animals on the back of the cards and have the kids answer questions before going to the next activity.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly