Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Give Them Grace - a Bible Study

Grace - it is such a wonderful word.  I love it.  I love what it means.  I love that God heaps upon me unfathomable grace that I know I don't deserve.

Therefore, when my friend introduced me to this book - Give Them Grace - I knew I wanted to read it.  But what I didn't realize was that it was much more than a parenting book.  It was just what I needed to hear.

I did grow up in a legalistic denomination of Christianity and while I am forever grateful that the gospel was shared with me I do have some issues that I need to resolve within myself.



Give Them Grace is written by Elyse Fitzpatrick and her daughter, Jessica Thompson. In it Elyse and Jessica apply the beautiful declarations of the gospel to parenting in practical yet paradigm-shifting ways. Get ready to be dazzled by the love of Jesus yourself…and freed from the covenant of works that most parents suffer under. The gospel is for children, too!
What makes Christian parenting distinctly Christian? More pointedly, what would make your parenting different from that of a Mormon or moral athiest? When we witness to adults about our faith we’re careful to tell them that they can’t work their way into heaven, but is that the message we give our children? Do they know what the gospel is? Have they been dazzled by the love of Jesus? Or do they think Christianity is about being “nice” and making Jesus smile? Have they heard the message of the glorious gospel?

 I have read this book cover to cover and I still can't get enough of it.  I am starting a Bible study for some friends and I will be blogging about what we are discussing if you would like to follow along.  I hope you do.  I hope you buy the book and I hope you read it.  I would love to hear what you think about it.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly