Monday, January 14, 2013

Easy Weeknight Meal - Homemade Hamburger Helper Potato Stroganoff


I have already mentioned that growing up we ate a lot of Hamburger Helper.  One of my mom's favorite seemed to be stroganoff.  I remember the hamburger potato stroganoff.  It was something we had quite often.  I found several recipes of homemade hamburger helper from Chickens in the Road.

I thought I would this out.  It was delicious.  My pickiest child ate it all.  I served it with some bread and green beans.  It was a very easy weeknight meal.

Potato Stroganoff

Ingredients:

1 pound ground beef (I use half deer meat, half beef)
1 cup hot water
2 cups milk (or 1 1/2 cup of milk and 1/2 cup sour cream)
3-4 medium potatoes, sliced very thin
1 tablespoon corn starch
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon parsley
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon pepper


Step One: Brown and drain one pound of ground beef.
Step Two: Add 3 cups of liquid (water and/or milk) along with your 1 1/2 cups sliced potatoes* and the rest of the ingredients. Simmer covered. The simmer time will be approximately 15-20 minutes for most varieties.
Step Three: Turn off heat and uncover. Let stand to thicken at least 5 minutes before s

You can prepare a sauce packet with the instructions for a make ahead meal.  The packet includes 1 tablespoon corn starch, 2 teaspoons garlic powder, 1 teaspoon onion powder, 1 teaspoon parsley, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.

*When using potatoes, slice the potatoes very thinly, like very thin potato chips. (If you find that difficult or annoying, you could finely dice the potatoes instead.) Add cook time if necessary, till the potatoes are tender. Some varieties use shredded potatoes.

While the hamburger is cooking you can slice the potatoes so everything can be done at once.  I hope you try this out.  It is pretty yummy.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments!

Printfriendly