Saturday, April 6, 2013

Back from the Homeschool Convention - here is what I learned

I went to a HUGE homeschool convention this past weekend.   I want to type out my thoughts so I don't forget everything.  Fortunately my friends shared some tips and some posts to help me be prepared.  Here is also a good post from Weird Unsocialized Homeschoolers.

1.  Wear comfortable clothes and shoes - this place was huge and there was a lot of walking.
2.  Bring snacks and water with you because the price of food at the convention center is ridiculous and food places are not super close.
3.  Bring a big bad or a wheely suitcase thing because you will buy some things and you will get quite a few free things.
4.  Do NOT bring your kids if they are under 9 or 10.  This is just my personal opinion but there is so much going on and so many people that it is hard to pay attention to everything.  The sessions are really informative (at least the ones I went to were) and having little kids there make it really hard to learn anything.
5.  You don't have to go to every session - you can buy CD's to bring home.
6.  Eat earlier or later - because if you eat when everything ends so does everyone else and every place that is close is crazy crowded!
7.  Don't buy anything on the first day.  Write down prices and go back to your hotel room and check Amazon and Ebay and other online places to make sure you are getting a good deal.  Even within the vendors - some of them sell the books cheaper than others.

I also had researched curriculum like crazy before I went so I knew what I was going to use.  Research and borrow curriculum from friends so you can get a feel for what you might use.  I have been buying my curriculum used from Ebay so I did not buy any there but they did have some deals and of course you wouldn't have to pay shipping.


I found some really neat things from families that had a great idea and made it happen and I did buy from a few of those families - because I want to support them and I knew my kids would enjoy the products.

My son is obsessed with animals and things right now so I bought him these DVDs and we really like them.  Check them out here.


I found this Lego film about Jericho and I bought another one with it.  It is made by a sister/brother team - how cool is that?


You can buy it from Ebay and Amazon.

I also found a product called The Etiquette Factory - I did not buy it there but I am seriously considering buying it later and maybe doing it this summer.  Click on the link to check it out.

I also was very interested in The Bible Bee.   Here is a sample of the study.  It has the whole family studying the same passage for their daily devotions and then they come together for a weekly "family bonfire" to share what they have learned.  It is really for ages 7 and up but they have a little activity book for the littles.  It has the kids really using a concordance and studying the meaning in Greek and Hebrew.  I know we would all learn something!


You can do this!

  • Memorize just two Bible passages each week as a family
  • Spend 20 minutes a day in age-leveled, synchronized Bible studies
  • Share what you've learned each week at a "Family Bonfire" with the help of weekly overviews, questions and activity ideas in the Parent Guidebook 
I did not buy this because the new one starts on June 1st but you can buy back issues through their e-store and we may do that once I discuss it more with my husband.  2010 was a Colossians study and is more in depth than their other studies.  2011 was I Peter and 2012 was 2 Timothy.  It is a 10 week study.


Let me tell you - homeschooling is changing.  People are going to it in masses.  It is not the homeschooling of yesterday.  I think it will explode very soon.  It is an exciting time to be homeschooling.  There is so many things out there.  If you are even thinking about it I would encourage you to do some research and ask around.  If you are thinking of going to a convention - go with a plan so you are not overwhelmed.

Do you have any tips for going to a homeschool convention?



 

2 comments:

  1. I've gone for a couple of years to one near us and it can be very overwhelming. But it's always good to hold the books in your hand and get to look inside. But I agree, you need to go with a plan that's for sure.
    Have a lovely day.
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

I love comments!

Printfriendly